Our Instant Pot is still working well into the summer 🙂 Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili is a great meal year-round. I know chili is something most people think of as a wintertime, cozy up to the fire meal, but we just couldn't resist making this one. One morning, while coming up with different meals to make for the week, we came across an interesting recipe in a vegan cookbook. We modified it a bit to come up with a Weight Watchers friendly freezer meal.
Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili
BLUE PLAN: 3 Points
GREEN PLAN: 8 Points
PURPLE PLAN: 1 Point
While you're here, be sure to check out the roundup of our favorite Weight Watchers Instant Pot Recipes!
I'm so happy you're here. 🙂 Note: Smiley's Points participates in affiliate programs. That's how the bills get paid! There is no additional charge to you and I only recommend products I know and love.
I know, I know potatoes are all but forbidden on most diets. They are starchy and full of fat blah, blah, blah. 😉 We love potatoes and someone in our family is always wanting them or eating them, plus they're NOT off limits on Weight Watchers!
The Instant Pot has been a big help in my wife and me losing weight. Meal planning has been an essential factor in our success with Weight Watchers. We are short on time, so we joined Instant Pot for Weight Loss and it jump started our weight loss in a BIG WAY! If you're intimidated by your electric pressure cooker, this is a way to get over it… fast. 🙂
Also check out my Ultimate Instant Pot Weight Watchers Guide and my 30 day weight loss results with Noom.
Here is the skinny on sweet potatoes and why you shouldn't exclude them from your diet. I love Weight Watchers, because you can eat whatever you want and as long as you follow the program you will achieve your goals. It really is about learning moderation and enjoying what you eat. Sweet potatoes are one of the highest vitamin A foods you can eat. Sweet potatoes are also less calories and have more nutrients than regular potatoes. They have a sweet, smooth taste and they're nutritious too? Yes!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do. All comments and suggestions are welcome. If your cooking time varies please add it in the comments, include where you live and your elevation as that may affect cook times. Also, let us know the consistency of your potatoes and how you like them, we think that is important.
Are you counting calories? One medium, baked sweet potato with skin contains just 103 calories. Go make this yummy chili and tell us what you think! 🙂
Weight Watchers Vegetarian Chili
Sweet potatoes are versatile. Check out these Sweet Potato Fajitas from You Brew My Tea.Print
Its Chili time and we have some of the best versions of chili on the net. Check us out at https://smileyspoints.com for some more chili ideas. (there are tons of other recipes here also 🙂
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano (dried)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 16oz jar of salsa
- 3 cups black beans cooked (3 –16 oz cans worked just fine :))
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (peeled and sliced thin)
- 1 cup cheese (fat free)
- Press saute on your Instant Pot
- Add olive oil once heated
- Add onion and garlic and saute until the onion starts to caramelize (about 5 minutes)
- Stir in tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and paprika.
- Stir in 1/8-1/4 cup of water to prevent the mixture from burning. You only need a small amount.
- Stir in salsa and black beans, heat through and taste, adjusting seasonings if necessary.
- Turn off your Instant Pot.
- Add sweet potato slices and stir to mix well. You want to make sure the potatoes are suspended in your chili mixture.
- Seal the lid, pressure cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Natural release for approximately 10 minutes, release the rest of the pressure, and stir.
- Potatoes should be soft but not mushy. Cook 5 minutes – a little longer if you want them softer.
- Layer chili and cheese in a bowl top with cheese and enjoy!
Serves 6 (1 cup servings)
3 points per serving
15 points for the whole thing
Omit the oil in this recipe and use a few tablespoons of water to soften your onion and garlic. You can even use your microwave to speed the process up a bit. Put the onion and garlic in a microwave safe bowl with 3 tablespoons of water for 2 minutes. Add them to the Instant Pot and continue with the recipe. 🙂
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American