Plus-size people tend to believe that becoming a slimmer version of themselves is impossible. However, plus-size yoga is a great way to gain confidence while working out your body. Plus, joining a yoga class is as easy as putting on a pair of yoga pants and bringing your yoga mat to the studio.
When you do a yoga pose, you are challenging your body to move in distinct ways. Regularly heading to your local studio and practicing yoga is a great way to start your weight loss journey.
Yoga is also the ultimate stress reliever, with benefits like:
- Improving sleep
- Calming the mind
- Relieving headaches
- Improving digestion
- Increasing flexibility
- Building strength
The following poses will help you on your journey and get you a step closer to reaching your weight loss goals.
Plus-Size Yoga Poses
There are several yoga poses that are beneficial for beginners. They will increase your flexibility, and you will begin to feel more energetic. These poses set the foundation that will enable you to do more challenging movements later on. As you become more comfortable with the poses, you will be increasingly positive about your weight loss progress as well.
A good way to practice yoga is to incorporate yoga blocks. They will:
- Keep you properly aligned
- Create a more accessible pose
- Reduce the challenge of certain poses for better relaxation
- Show how adaptable yoga is, making it great for all bodies
- Forward Bend – This exercise will warm up your body. Begin by standing straight up. Bend your body forward, folding at the hips. Attempt to touch the ground using your hands. Always keep your back straight. If you can’t reach the ground, rest your hands on a yoga block. This pose will stretch your hamstrings and make you more flexible.
- Corpse Pose – While this is the simplest pose to accomplish, it can also be quite difficult. To do this exercise, lie down on your back. Then, stretch your feet and arms out. Relax all of your locked and tense muscles. Continue to breathe deeply and focus on calming your inner self.
- Tree Pose – This is a bit more challenging. Begin with your feet shoulder-width apart. Stretch your arms upward and place your palms together. Bend and lift your left leg. Bring it close to your inner right thigh. Repeat with your other leg. This exercise is great for increasing stability.
- Bridge Pose – Begin by lying down on your back. Bend your knees until your shin is perpendicular to the floor. Then lift your hips by engaging your core muscles. Be careful not to put any stress on your arms! This yoga pose will strengthen your hips and core muscles.
- Half Lord of the Fishes – Start this pose sitting with your legs crossed. Pull your right leg toward your chest. Press your knee using your left arm to better feel the stretch. Twist your body a bit to the right side. Shift sides and repeat for the other side. This will improve your posture and decompress your spine.
- Cobra – Cobra is perfect for stretching your shoulders and back muscles. Begin by lying down on your stomach. Stretch out your legs, and with your hands on the ground, raise your upper body gently. Your legs and hips must remain on the ground. Inhale when you are lifting your body, and exhale when going down.
- Downward Dog – Begin this pose on your hands and knees in the table position. Your feet and hands should be hip-width apart. Gradually shift your weight from your knees to your feet and hands by straightening your legs. Your body should be in an upside-down “V” position. Keep your neck straight and look toward your belly button. Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Downward dog helps relieve back pain.
- Mountain Pose – This is a foundation of standing poses. It is frequently used as active rest or as a transition between poses. The mountain pose will improve your posture, strengthen your knees, ankles, and thighs, and relieve sciatica pain. To do this pose, stand with your feet close together. Stand tall and roll your shoulders backward. Place your arms at your sides. Your palms should be facing forward while you stretch your arms down. Keep the chin parallel to your mat. Focus on deep breathing.
- Cat Pose – This pose is very easy as your entire body weight is supported by your hands and knees. Start on your hands and knees, with your hands directly below your shoulders and your knees below your hips. Begin with a deep inhale. Pull your stomach inward and hunch your back while tucking your head to look at your navel. This exercise will strengthen your back muscles.
- Cow Pose – The cat and cow poses should always be combined to strengthen both the core and back muscles. To do the cow pose, go into the cat pose outlined above. Slowly exhale while dropping your back as far downward as possible to create a “sway-back” look. Lift your head into the air and look up. The cow pose will engage your core muscles.
If you are looking for other poses, apps like Noom and Healthi are perfect for showing you the various yoga poses. They tend to come in either video form or step-by-step instructions to make things easier for you. They are valuable resources to aid you in your weight loss journey.
These 10 different yoga poses will help you begin your plus-size yoga journey. The best way to do them is to have each pose flow effortlessly into each other. This will take some practice, but as you become more efficient and well-acquainted with the various poses, they will become second nature. Yoga is a great way to relax while working out your body.