A dental abscess is the accumulation of pus caused by a bacterial infection, lousy gum, or swelling due to multiple reasons, such as eating more sweets, sticky food, junk food, etc. However, this can also happen due to untreated cavities or a periodontal problem. It causes severe pain, fever, swelling, inflammation, bad breath, etc. If left untreated the infection may spread or cause a fistula, through which pus drains out.
Drainage creates small access through the tissues, allowing the pus to flow out. Root canal treatment will be the permanent solution to resolve the infection. If you want an immediate temporary solution, tooth filling will be the best choice.
So, the question is: What are the causes and symptoms of a dental abscess, and how to prevent it. This blog speaks about signs of a tooth abscess and natural remedies for tooth infection.
Symptoms Of Tooth Abscess
Tooth infection has various symptoms. Some commons are:
- Swelling of Mouth
- Bad breath
- Redness of gums
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Bad taste
- Pimple bump on gum
- Sensitivity to Hotness and coldness
- Difficulty in swallowing food or breathing
- Mouth pain
- Sensitivity to pressure on chewing or biting foods.
7 Natural Remedies for Tooth Infection
The following natural remedies can be applied along with prescribed treatments:
1. SaltWater rinse:–
Rinsing your mouth with salt water can be a cost-effective and easy method to get temporary relief from an abscessed tooth. It promotes healthy teeth gums. With the help of osmosis, it removes unhealthy bacteria from the mouth.
- It helps in keeping the breath of your mouth fresh and clean.
- It helps in reducing mouth pain.
- Saltwater prevents infection from spreading.
- It soothes the sore throat.
- It washes all the bacteria that cause tooth decay.
To use this natural remedy:-
- Mix ½ teaspoon of ordinary table salt with ½ cup of warm tap water.
- Rinse your mouth with saltwater.
- Now swish and swirl it around inside your mouth for at least two-three minutes.
- After that, Spit the water out from your mouth.
- Repeat this method for up to three per day.
Garlic is another natural remedy with many beneficial therapeutic uses, including a pain manager and bacteria killer.
- It helps in controlling the population of bacteria that are harmful to teeth.
- Relieves mouth pain and inflammation.
- Maintain the balance of good bacteria for healthy and strong teeth.
- It also helps in fighting against gum-related diseases.
To use this remedy:
- Take a fresh clove of garlic and crush it to make a paste.
- Then rub the paste on the infected area of teeth and live for 4-5 minutes.
- Now clean your mouth with warm water and avoid eating food for 30 minutes.
- However, it is preferred to be done after having food.
3. Oregano essential oil:–
Oregano essential oil can help you reduce the swelling and pain of tooth decay and infection. Do not forget to mix any essential oil with carrier oil to prevent further irritation or inflammation.
- It keeps your teeth healthy and strong.
- It has an antibacterial property that helps remove the bacteria that cause tooth decay or tooth abscess.
- It also helps in reducing swollen gums.
To use this remedy, follow the below steps given:
- Take some drops of the oil mixing with an ounce of carrier oil.
- Apply the mixture to a cotton ball or a cotton swab.
- Retain the cotton ball on the infected area for two to three minutes.
- Remove the cotton ball or swab.
- Then leave the mixture on the infected area for at least 5-10 minutes, then rinse.
- Repeat up to three times per day.
4. Fenugreek Tea:–
It has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It has been used as an ayurvedic and natural remedy for reducing pain and inflammation from ancient times. You can find the ground fenugreek in the spice aisle of any grocery market.
- It is an excellent method for counteracting bad breath.
- It stops the bacteria from taking shelter in the mouth.
- Readily available in the grocery shops.
- It reduces any sort of inflammation and pain.
To use this remedy:
- Make a fenugreek herbal tea by heating a cup of water in a saucepan and stirring in 1 teaspoon of ground fenugreek into it.
- Now allow the mixture to cool.
- Take a small amount of mixture and apply it to the affected area using a cotton ball.
- Repeat up to three times per day.
5. Clove essential oil or Thyme essential oil:-
Since ancient times, clove oil has been used as a natural toothache remedy, kills mouth parasites, and reduces swelling. Cloves may have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. You may use this oil in a diluted or concentrated form. If using it in a diluted form, do not forget to dilute it properly (3 to 5 drops in an ounce of carrier oil).
- A beneficial antibacterial oil to keep your teeth fresh and healthy.
- Good for reducing toothache or pain.
- Also helps in reducing swollen gums and mouth.
How to use the Remedy?
Take the diluted oil and apply it to the affected area by placing a few drops on a cotton ball or swab. You can also try a clove oil mouthwash by placing a few drops of the oil into a small glass of water. You can use this essential oil three to four times per day.
6. Hydrogen peroxide:-
Hydrogen peroxide is an excellent natural remedy for fighting a bacterial infection. It helps in reducing plaque and bleeding gums.
- Hydrogen peroxide keeps your teeth white and clean.
- It reduces the cause of swollen gums.
- It helps in reducing pain and inflammation.
- It kills the bacteria responsible for tooth abscesses.
To use this remedy:
- Take hydrogen peroxide and mix with water in equal amounts, for example, 1 cup HO to 1 cup of water.
- Swish and move the solution around in your mouth, then spit it out.
- Take care that you are not intaking any drop of the hydrogen peroxide solution.
- You can do this remedy multiple times a day.
7. Oil pulling:-
Oil pulling is another ancient means of oral hygiene used to treat mouth ailments. Oil pulling helps remove toxins from the teeth and gums. Many studies show that oil pulling is an effective and promising treatment for bleeding gums, bad breath, and reducing bacteria. Some good oils for oil pulling include raw coconut oil, sesame oil, or Olive oil. You can do oil pulling in the morning on an empty stomach.
- It helps kill harmful bacteria from the mouth that causes decay of teeth and gums.
- Good for reducing bad breath.
- It may help in preventing cavities in your teeth.
- It helps in reducing inflammation and pain.
- It also improves the health of gum.
- It has no side effects.
- Both children and adults can do it without any risk.
To use this remedy:-
- Take one tablespoon of (coconut or olive) oil into your mouth.
- Move the oil around through your teeth vigorously for up to 15-20 minutes. Beginners can start from 2 to 5 minutes then slowly increase the time.
- Don’t swallow the oil. Spit it out in the garbage.
Points to Ponder
- Brush your teeth twice a day.
- Have regular dental checkups and teeth cleaning.
- Never forget to floss between your teeth and gums.
- If there is a cracked tooth, do not delay your dentist appointment.
- Use fluoride content toothpaste.
- Try to avoid excess sugary products. These sweets make cavities in your tooth and cause an abscess.
- Eat on time. Do not intake snacks between your mealtime.
- You can use a toothpick to remove stuck foodstuff from your teeth.
- Stay away from sticky chocolates and sweets.
An abscessed tooth is a serious infection. This pocket of pus could spread to other parts of the face and eyes if left untreated. If you have a tooth infection, see a dentist as soon as possible. The natural remedies listed above are meant as complementary treatments recommended by a doctor. You may need antibiotics and dental care immediately if your teeth infection exists.